2012 Annual Meeting of the Michigan MAA and MichMATYC
May 4-5, 2012
Saginaw Valley State University
The 2012 meeting of the Michigan Section of the
MAA & MichMATYC will occur Friday and Saturday, May 4 and 5, 2012,
at Saginaw Valley State University.
conference program is now available.
It includes general information, a timetable, abstracts for all of the
presentations, and facilities maps.
is also available as a separate document.
The Program Committee is delighted to announce a speaker list
that includes plenary addresses by
Doug Ensley, Second Vice President MAA, Shippensburg University The Higher Mathematics of Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Moe
Sommer Gentry, United States Naval Academy Faster, Safer, Healthier: Adventures in Operations Research
Kathleen Heid, Penn State U Mathematics for Teaching High School Mathematics and Implications for Collegiate Mathematics
Colm Mulcahy, Spelman C The Mathematics, Magic and Mystery of Martin Gardner
Darren Narayan, Rochester Institute of Technology Beyond the Widgets: Real World Applications of Mathematics
In addition, we look forward to local-invited talks given by
our Michigan colleagues
Kathy Burgis, Lansing CC Developmental Mathematics: Out of the Shadows and Under the National Spotlight
Filiz Dogru, GVSU Outer (Dual) Billiards
Tom Fiore, UM Dearborn Morphisms in a Musical Analysis of Schoenberg, String Quartet No. 1, Opus 7
Amy Hlavacek, SVSU Surface Embeddings: An Overview
Garry Johns, SVSU "Are We There Yet?" In Search of the Best Discrete Distance
We have a full schedule of contributed talks by faculty, graduate students,
and undergraduate students:
- Naema Aden and Khairul Islam, EMU Fitting Models to Cost of Education Data in the United States
- Raid Al-Aqtash, CMU The Gumbel-Weibull Distribution
- Feryal Alayont, GVSU Modeling the Standards for Mathematical Practice of CCSSM in a Discrete Mathematics Course
- Jeremy Babila, GVSU Three Dimensional Rook Polynomials and Ferrers Boards
- Sukanya Basu, GVSU On the Differences Between Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems
- Nasrin Belbasi and Khairul Islam, EMU Malignant Breast Cancer Incidence Discrepancies by Region and Race: An Application of ANOVA Model to SEER Program Database
- Reino L. Bruner and James D Dalrymple, EMU On the Optimized Shift Transformation for Normality
- Tim Carroll, EMU The Archimedes Palimpsest
- Eden Donahou, Seminole State C of Florida Getting Students Invested in Learning (ALEKS demonstration sponsored by McGraw-Hill)
- Daniel Drucker, WSU Volumes and Surface Areas of n-Balls
- Gabriela Dumitrascu, EMU The Mathematical Practice of Generalization
- Paul Francoeur, Michael Esch, and Caleb Yonker, GVSU Some Applications of Bifurcation Theory
- Olivier Heubo-Kwegna, SVSU On Hyper Structures: the BCK-Algebra's Case
- Eric Holmgren, GVSU Rook Polynomials and Number Theory
- Khairul Islam, EMU Mathematical Modeling in Introductory Calculus: Applications with Real-life Problems
- Raymond Jensen, Trine U An Alternative Proof of the Chain Rule for Multivariable Functions
- Alia Khurram, Adrian C Gibbs Phenomena in Two Dimensions
- Yeonhyang Kim, CMU Diagram Vectors and Tight Frame Scaling in Finite Dimensions
- Elaine Lande, UM Mathematical Language, Symbolism and Meaning: The ‘Minus’ Sign
- Douglas A. Lapp, CMU Using Dynamic Computer Algebra Systems to Develop Concepts in Abstract Algebra
- Vincent Maltese and Khadija Ahmed, Monroe County CC An Emporium Model Redesign of Developmental Mathematics
- Arundhati Bagchi Misra, SVSU Modified Chambolle Method for Speckle Image Denoising
- Edmond Nadler, UM Singularity of Cubic Bezier Curves and Surfaces
- Emmanuel Ncheuguim, SVSU Solution to a Nonlinear Black-Scholes Equation
- Kurt O'Hearn, Mike Phillips, and Matthew Plante, GVSU A Weak Order on Ordered Set Partitions
- Bryan Phinezy, WMU From Combinatorial Puzzles to Graph Colorings
- Thomas Plante, CMU The Base-Height Property
- Mahmoud Rawashdeh, Jordan U of Science and Technology New Generalization of f-Simultaneous Approximation in Topological Vector Spaces
- Tanweer J. Shapla, EMU Teaching Elementary Statistics Using Excel
- Shanna Simpson-Singleton, EMU A Mathematical Model of the Correlation of Mood in Bipolar Disorder
- Luis Sordo Vieira, WSU Isoperimetry in the Plane with Density e^r
- Joseph D Walsh III, WMU Neighbor-Distinguishing Metric Sets in Graphs
- Tharanga Mahesh Kumara Wijetunge, CMU Pre-Service Teachers and the TI-Navigator: Do They Identify What They Can Do with Technology?
- Swee Meng Yong and Khairul Islam, EMU Survival and Associated Risk of Lung Cancer Patients in Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results Program
- Guangliang Zhao, WSU Regularization and Stabilization of Randomly Switching Dynamic Systems
Michigan NExT is sponsoring a
symposium on undergraduate research on Friday afternoon.
The conference includes several activities intended especially for
The Ron Mosier Memorial Award
will be presented to the student(s) with the most outstanding talk.
On Friday evening, the conference will host a pizza party and informal mathematics competition for students. Students are invited to attend the plenary talk after dinner.
The 2012 Program Committee consists of
Dan Isaksen (WSU),
Matt Boelkins (GVSU),
Kristin Chatas (Washtenaw CC),
and Hasan Al-Halees (SVSU).
For questions about the program, contact
Dan Isaksen (isaksen at math.wayne.edu).
For questions about the local arrangements, contact
Hasan Al-Halees (hhalees at svsu.edu).